The following documents were submitted to John Penrose MP to inform a report on competition policy, September 2020. The Penrose Review considers how the UK’s competition regime can be enhanced in the context of Covid-19 and the end of the transition period.
Penrose’s work is intended to build on recent competition policy developments to look at how the UK’s competition regime can further evolve to meet the government’s policy aims of promoting a dynamic, innovation-driven economy which delivers for consumers and businesses across all regions and nations of the UK.
Contributors to CCPs submission and this short paper include Steve Davies, Sean Ennis, Amelia Fletcher, Morten Hviid, Bruce Lyons, Catherine Waddams. It should not be assumed that all contributors agree on all of the comments made.
- CCP Note: Review of Competition Policy by John Penrose MP: Contributions Towards an Issues Statement
- Fletcher, Amelia, “Market Investigations for Digital Platforms: Panacea or Complement?” Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3668289 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3668289. Forthcoming, Journal of Competition Law & Economics.
- Hviid, Morten and Waddams Price, Catherine, “Non-Discrimination Clauses in the Retail Energy Sector” The Economic Journal, 122 (August), F236–F252. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0297.2012.02537.x
- Lyons, Bruce “Unfinished Reform of the Institutions”, forthcoming in The UK Competition Regime: A Twenty-Year Retrospective, eds A. MacCulloch, B. Rodger and P.Whelan, Oxford University Press: Oxford.
- Lyons, Bruce and Sugden, Robert “CCP Consultation Response FCA: Call for Evidence - Guidance for firms on the fair treatment of vulnerable customers”, 30 September, 2020.
- Lyons, Bruce and Sugden, Robert “Transactional fairness and unfair price discrimination in consumer markets”, mimeo, 31 August, 2020.
- Waddams Price, Catherine and Zhu, Minyan, “Non-discrimination Clauses: Their Effect on British Retail Energy Prices”, The Energy Journal, Vol. 37, No. 2. Pp. 111-132, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5547/01956574.37.2.cpri